Tuesday, April 5, 2011

OUR NEW NORMAL - BUT ONLY FOR A TIME

Well, it was back to work today.  I came in to visit with Tom pretty early.  He was already awake.  He said he didn't have a good night and that he was sore.  I asked him why and he said it was because of physical therapy.  I told him that was a "good kind" of sore.

I was here long enough to meet the kidney doctor.  The kidney function is down again today.  He decided to give Tom a couple of new meds (one shot and one pill) and they have him on IV fluids along with some potassium right now.  If the liver function is improving this might be contributing to the drop in kidney function.  It seems they can do much more for the kidneys so as long as the liver continues to improve I guess we can afford a minor decline in the kidneys.  It's probably just something we have to get through.  The bilirubin is even higher so the first report of the day was a bit disheartening.  That made it even more difficult to leave and go to work but my co-workers are the best and really helped encourage me.  I worry about Tom getting discouraged too when we hear reports like that.  I did remind him what the stomach doctor said last night and we need to continue to take things one day at a time.

He requested some caffine-free diet Mt. Dew.  The nurses are allowing him to have a little of it.  He needs to watch the sodium so very little soda is allowed.  Tom typically prefers a flavored water but those have sodium too.  I asked him to drink as much water as he can.

Physical Therapy came in again this morning and helped Tom stand up.  He did even better today and took a few side-steps too.  He said he's still light-headed, which is expected, and it really wears him out.  Of course it could also be the new meds.  Watching him sleep makes me sleepy too.

Cathy and Debbie are on their way home right now.  Please keep them in your prayers.  I will certainly miss them.  Debbie, my niece Abby and a friend will come back on Friday.  Abby will entertain the dogs and Debbie will help me entertain Tom. 

I'll be heading back to the office shortly and will post again this evening. 

2 comments:

  1. Jeanne,
    Thank you so much for all of your postings. I know it's not easy for you....just another way that you have to face into what's happening. But, being the skilled nail biter that I am, the information is valuable and helps me touch the 2 of you. I wish I had the ability to be there, but that just isn't possible. I assure you that I am knock,knock,kcocking on heavens door all day long... Keep your spirits up by focusing on all of the things the 2 of you can do once this is over...and it will be over....
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have liver problems too, (Tom's stepson here) and apple juice or any juice mixed half with water helps me...mixing something with the water dilutes any sodium and gives a little taste for maintaining fluids, and I've heard that if it is Not ice-cold it is better absorbed by the body too.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you even though I don't know Tom's son Tom.

    ReplyDelete