Monday, April 4, 2011

CALM AFTER THE STORM

Well, my goal today was to meet with the doctors.  I saw one at 7:30, another at 1 pm, and a third at 5 pm.  Nothing like spreading them out, huh?

I will say that the first report this morning was a bit discouraging.  The stomach doctor (he's really called a gastroenterologist - I can spell that without even looking it up) was the one who lifted my spirits.  His explaination for the high bilirubin is due to the 2 units of blood that Tom received a few days ago.  The liver has to process Tom's own blood and this additional blood with limited capacity - so the processes are kind of backed up in queue.  Although it is high and it is a concern, at least we have a pretty good reason why. 

As far as the kidney function, they have stopped the antibiotics for now to see if that might be causing the kidneys some trouble.  The doctor also thinks that Tom might be slightly dehydrated which will cause the kidneys to slow down as well.  The bleeding from the hernia sight this morning was not as bad as I originally thought.  We really don't want any bleeding but at least it wasn't as bad as it was when the third NG tube was removed.

He is pleased with the improvements in the liver and Tom's responsiveness overall.  Tom is eating additional calories which is helping.  Tom is also iniating and carrying on conversations as opposed to just answering questions.  He thinks Tom may be in CCU another two weeks but won't commit. 

Cathy and Debbie are going home tomorrow afternoon so please pray for their safe travel.  I'm going to head to the office for a few hours tomorrow.  Fortunately it's about 5 minutes from the hospital so I can go back and forth to see Tom during the day.  I know Tom is in good hands and covered by your prayers.

God bless you all!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good day I'd say... He got up, had a Starbucks and called me on the phone. YUP!! I'll take that as VERY positive!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing so well with this Jeanne. Know for sure that we are hitting heaven hard with prayers here in the Burnet/Nichelson house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better news this evening, I'm so glad. Jeanne, you will feel more like yourself if you can spend a little time at work, getting busy with other things. It's wonderful that you are only 5 minutes from the hospital, and that you can sleep in your own bed knowing that Tom is well cared for. The prayers are still coming, don't worry. Let us know if you need us, please.

    ReplyDelete