Thursday, April 14, 2011

DAY 22

I can't believe three weeks ago we arrived in the ER.  We're still here and, considering the circumstances, that's a very good thing.  No big news to report tonight - it's been pretty quiet.  Soon we'll be going to bed and that will all change!

Tom had about 4-5 hours of dialysis today!  I don't know how they determine how much he needs or should have.  That will be a question for the kidney doctor if I see him in the morning.  Since Tom was gone most of the day, there were no doctor visits.  Tom didn't have physical therapy either.  I think they came by but he wasn't here.  Bummer.  (Tom was probably happy though.)

His hernia wound is now uncovered so that must be healing well - it scares me that it's not protected though.  I haven't seen the night nurse yet to hound her for today's numbers but I'm ready to pounce when she gets here.  Depending on the "inventory" of patients, it can take them a couple of hours to get to everyone to do an assessment.  We are pretty close to the end of the hall - it seems like we're always last.

We still need the kidneys to respond to the dialysis and work on their own (preferably without assistance).  This continues to be my prayer along with improved function of the liver and things like his bilirubin number to come down.  Precious Lord, hear my prayers and the prayers of all who lift us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment