Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NO DIALYSIS!!

OK, this is going to be quick because I need to be working!!  The kidney doctor came in today and said the kidney numbers are up "just slightly" so the kidneys are getting rid of some of the poison.  He was concerned that Tom's white blood cell count is high and ordered the dialysis cath to be removed in case there is an infection at the site (I am beginning to think Tom will get better faster when he leaves the hospital).  The kidney doctor said he still might need a couple of more sessions of dialysis and if so, they would put in a new cath (yuck).  Anyway, I thought it was great news that he could skip another day.

Tom had me up every single hour last night to scratch his back or put cortisone on it.  It is really not helping - another physician friend of mine said that it probably wouldn't help because the liver situation is probably what is causing the itching.  Anyway, about 11 pm Tom insisted he sit up on the edge of the bed.  Against my better judgement (it was late, I was tired), I helped him do this and he did GREAT!  I helped pull him up but he really did most of the work on his own.  We did this two more times (1 a.m. and 3 a.m.) and I let him pull himself up with very little help from me! 

I stuck around this morning while they removed the dialysis cath just to make sure he didn't bleed all over the place.  Tom has lost most of the fluid now (except in his feet) and I know that makes him feel better too.

Just keep praying the kidneys will increase their performance and the liver will start to come around too.  Could that be a tiny light at the end of the tunnel???

2 comments:

  1. He sat on the edge of the bed 3 times? That is GREAT!!! You have been hired as the PT assistant!!! :)

    ReplyDelete