Sunday, April 17, 2011

AND AGAIN . . .

Well, the PCP was just here.  Todays happy phrase is "making slow progress".  He confirmed Tom's kidney numbers are better and because the kidney output is so high (OK, I said we weren't going to talk about that again but . . . ) they might be overcompensating.  They are going to reduce the amount of the diuretic.  The doc thought that dialysis might be needed just 1 or 2 more times.

The wound still needs attention but the doc said Tom has "bigger fish to fry" than it right now.  He needs to get stronger first.  I think this is going to be an ongoing hurdle for Tom.  If it were me, I'd be up by now (easy for me to say) but he is really struggling with muscle pain.  I keep telling him to push through it but he's not buying that concept.  I don't know what it will take.  The PCP asked if the physical therapists had come in and we said no, so maybe we'll get some PT today.

The doc feels certain that the wound is only open to the outside so no infection is going back inside Tom's body so that is good news.  He still has some swelling (especially in his feet) but that's getting better too.  They can't really do much about the itching, so I spend a lot of time layering Tom with Elta creme.  I think I'm going to by stock in that product - we're using a lot of it.

OK, that's two morning posts.  I'll leave everyone alone for now and see if I can drum up some more news for later this evening.

I hope you all are taking some time to worship our Almighty God today (and every day) - I certainly miss being in Sunday School and Church.

1 comment:

  1. It was good to talk with Tom today. I only hope that he drew some positives regarding PT. I gave him my experiences and how it became necessary for me to set a goal...17 steps in my case. If I could do 17 steps with a walker I could go home. That was the distance from the bedroom to the bathroom and the living room to the bathroom. Regarding the foot/leg itching, I have the same condition. What keeps it in check is Hydrocortizone 1% cream and Sween Cream moisturizer over the top every morning. Without both, my feet and legs really itch, tingle and feel hot. However, that is what works for me. What works for Tom may be entirely different.

    Jeanne, once again thank for the daily updates. I would go nuts without them...

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete