Friday, April 8, 2011

IN A CHAIR!

Yes, that's right.  Tom is sitting in a chair.  This is huge.  We have the GREAT nurse today.  I am excited about it too.  She makes him work really hard and doesn't take any crap!  I was here when PT came and got to see him stand.  It was quite a struggle and he's not happy about any of it but it was so good to see him up.  Please pray that Tom's mind will work hard to convince his body to do what it needs to do and push when he doesn't think he can.  They also gave us several things to work on while Tom is in the chair or in bed.

The kidney doctor said again he's thinking the rash Tom has from one of the newer meds might be upsetting the kidneys.  They are going to give him steriods today.  They are also going to try to start him on dialysis to try to get the toxins cleaned from the kidneys.  Hopefully these two together will re-engage the kidneys.  It might also help the Bilirubin a bit too.  Probably won't do much for the liver but if the toxins are out of the kidneys, it's less work the liver has to do there.  Tom agreed it would be good to follow the doctors recommendations.

His wonderful nurse also talked about moving him to a regular room too.  Don't know when that might happen but it may be sooner rather than later.  She was so encouraging to me this morning about Tom's recovery - although it will be very slow.  I'm up for it but I am concerned that Tom will not be as patient.  I've seen him do many challenging things in his life and I know he can do this - I need for him to know he can do this and give it 200% effort.  Maybe if I book that Hawaiian cruise it will be enough motivation . . .

1 comment:

  1. Please tell him for me that PT requires far less mental effort than Bungee jumping, and the rewards are much greater!

    ReplyDelete