Saturday, April 9, 2011

DIALYSIS SESSION 1

Tom's dialysis session today was about 2 hours.  He was gone from the room for about 3.5 hours.  We think he will have a session tomorrow - no one really seems to know.  If he's on the schedule, they call and then come and get him.

There was no physical therapy today but Tom has been doing some exercises that they recommended.  I am very proud of him.  I know it's painful but I think the activity helps clear out some of the cobwebs too.  He's had a few naps today also!

Our day shift nurse has provided us all of Tom's numbers since he was admitted so Debbie is working to verify we have the right numbers on the right days.  We've learned what to look for so we're charting everything on a spreadsheet (Becky - you must be proud).  The ammonia level has reached the upper end of the normal range and the white blood cell count is going down - yipee; but the others are still too elevated for comfort so we'll see what progress is made with the dialysis.  Of course all the docs and nurses continue to tell us it will take t-i-m-e.

At home, the fallen tree limb is cleaned up.  The lawn care folks cleared the limbs out of the neighbors yard last night but didn't finish on our side of the fence so I thought that might be all they were going to do.  I sent a message for help to my Sunday School class and my Sunday School teacher showed up this morning and ran into the lawn care folks (their chain saw broke yesterday so they couldn't finish the job).  Sorry for the false alarm, Mike. 

Have I told you all what a wonderful support team I have?  All of you are a part of it because you care enough about Tom to read this blog.  I will never be able to thank you enough and I praise God for you and your prayers.

Debbie, Abby and her friend Katie will be going home tomorrow.  It's been such a blessing to have them here again - especially since I am staying at the hospital with Tom. I'll have to adjust the schedule for this week if I continue to stay at the hospital but if I can't get any more than a couple of hours of sleep, that won't work.  If I could only be two places at the same time!!  It will be easier once Tom is stronger and can move around a little more.  I know it will all work out somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Jeanne,
    Thank you for starting and maintaining this blog. It really helps me understand a bit better. Good ap for a spreadsheet! Hope you sleep well... and that means Tom too!
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete