Thursday, May 10, 2012

Tom's new friend

The wound vac will be Tom's friend for a while. Dr. Rosen's words were "for months". Not exciting news but there is a more portable model that he will eventually have that will allow him to walk around and everything. A home health nurse will come to the house to maintain it. You're probably asking the same question I had - about the liver transplant? I asked Dr. Rosen about that too and expressed my concern that the wound vac would prevent it. He said he wouldn't think so. Of course, today Tom is not close to being able to handle that surgery and fortunately, at this time, he is not very high on the list nor would his numbers move him up much, if any. I will call the Liver Center today and give them an update on what has happened. Tom's BP looks great this morning, with no assistance from pressers! It is 120/71. Everything else is stable, he just doesn't look as good to me today. They fussed with him a lot this morning so maybe that is why. His nurse told me he has lots of little skin tears and his arms are "weeping" a lot. We need to pray none of those get infected. Tom's skin is (and has been) like tissue paper. I snuck in early this morning hoping to catch the intensive care doc. They have the unit broken up in three different sections because of construction so he is all over. I seems he is never here when I am. Dr. Rosen said Tom's leg looked really good. He will check it again tomorrow and may take him back to surgery for clean-up. The "hole" is pretty big and a lot of tissue was removed. The good news here is that is less tissue to hold fluid in the future. He said it wouldn't look great as it healed. I told him I didn't marry Tom just for his legs (mine probably looked better 20 years ago too). Regardless, Tom is probably going to freak out when he sees it. I am sorry for not posting last night. After my appointment, I rushed home to the puppies and needed to follow up on some work stuff. I called my mom and I guess I thought if I gave her an update, I gave everyone an update. Anyway, i tied up some loose ends on the previous nights server updates until 11 pm or so and then went straight to bed. My sweet neighbors have been coming over to let Finley and Fritzi out to run around for a while during the day. They seem to get their second wind about 9 pm and want to run around all over the place. It's hard to get them to settle down. It will take them some time to get used to our new schedule. They miss Tom (and their all-day freedom) so much. I scored! Dr. Rutland just came in and said Tom as doing well. He is pleasantly surprised that Tom's kidneys are doing so well. He said they would probably keep Tom on the vent until early next week, simply because he would be going back to surgery tomorrow and then they will continue to have him on the sedative after that. He agreed that the wound vac shouldn't prevent a transplant down the road. Praising God for his mercy and continued improvement. Thank you thank you for your prayers and support on this long road.

No comments:

Post a Comment