Tuesday, May 15, 2012

About the same

Tom is about the same as he was today at noon. He'll be awake briefly and then fall back asleep. I helped him eat a banana Popsicle and drink some Sprite zero. He will have another protein shake shortly. He is very, very weak and so groggy. I found out that they gave him some morphine this morning so I'm hoping that's why. He still wants to go home but he told me that we need to take it one day at a time. I told him he could go home once he was walking and I was working with the case manager to arrange a place to get him walking as soon as possible once he gets out of the hospital. I ran into Dr. Rosen when I was leaving earlier today. He said they will change Tom's wound vac on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I asked "forever?" and he said "until it seals" so I guess as it heals from the inside they use a smaller and smaller sponge until it "seals". He said it could be changed at home as well. Because Tom has not been up, I don't know how much the compression fracture in his back will affect his ability to walk. The doctors told me it would require rest and PT. I don't know how much rest is required but he's been off his feet for 12 days (and counting). Tom kept pulling the oxygen tubing off and he's doing ok without it so they've left it off. He also wants to pull the other monitor leads off so that's been more of a problem. Tom just did great with his dinner: protein shake, jello, and italian ice. Time for me to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment