Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Still talking

I tried sneaking in before visiting hours this morning and survived about 25 minutes before they kicked me out. Now I'm waiting until they start to go back for just a little longer. I did get to talk with the Resident who came in to check on Tom. He is doing well, no pain, just thirsty. I brought him one of his favorite soda's and the Resident said it would be ok to give him so I'll do that when visiting hours begin. I'll probably get in trouble for that too. His creatinine is 1.3 which is good and his WBC is down to 19 so I'm happy it's moving in the right direction. Tom is still groggy but she thought he would be moved out of ICU as soon as tomorrow. She also said they would begin physical therapy, probably with exercises in the bed. He has a LOT of fluid on his abdomen so it's going to be very hard for him to get up for a while. I don't know if they gave him anything for sleep, it's probably going to take a few days to get all of this sedative out of his system. I'm going to try to catch Dr. Rutland at lunch time today to see what he has to say. It's nearly impossible to catch all the docs, I'd have to spend the whole day here - its not that Tom's not worth it, we've just been through this so much, we kinda know how it rolls. I will call Dr. Rutland if I don't see him today - he's the team coordinator and will have updates from all the others. If anything was amiss, he would call me. Please continue to pray for the Phinney family from my Sunday School class. I think all but one child will be discharged today as well as their dad. Rebecca still has a long road of recovery ahead but she is a Wonder Woman so I have no doubt she will exceed everyone's expectations. When I told Tom last night that they were going to make me go home, he tried to pull himself up to go with me. I told him he probably wouldn't be able to walk yet, his response was "yes I can, let's go". I asked him if he knew how long he had been in the hospital, he said "too long". That's a typical Tom response. I hope he will be able to stay motivated and work hard on his strength. I may ask for some local volunteers to come and spend some time with Tom, particurlarly in the evenings, when he is moved to a regular room. I have some things to do in the days ahead and could use a break from being here so much. Both families are planning to come too. A variety of folks helps Tom too, I wuickly become like a broken record! Heading back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment