Wednesday, May 23, 2012

READY TO MOVE

Tom is so ready to move.  He is anxious about where he will go and when, so the waiting is getting hard for him.  Dr. Rosen will be in today to look at his wound when they change the wound vac.  I hope he is pleased by the progress there.

Tom was not in a good mood when I got there this morning.  He had a rough night it seems and he is tired.  He was pretty much laying on the plastic bed, all the sheets were wadded up under his back.  I called for help and they got him on clean sheets and all straightened out.  Of course, knowing they are coming to change the wound vac doesn't help either - it is very painful.  I try to softly remind him that it will continue to be changed 3 times a week so he can work on not letting that ruin every other day.  I don't know if that schedule will change as it heals or if it will be that way until the wound vac is removed.  He was eating breakfast when I left.

Dr. Rutland said they were looking at the rehab that is in the hospital as an option.  It is one of the more "intense" rehab facilities.  I'd still like Tom to get that kind of attention but we'll see what happens.  He really wants to go outside and have me bring the puppies and stuff - that would probably be easier in a close-to-home SNF but we can make it work anywhere.  With the upcoming holiday weekend, there will be more time to try something like that.

He took a few more shuffle steps yesterday.  His legs are still not strong enough to lift them off the ground.  I told him to keep doing the exercises in bed.  His arms are getting stronger so he's able to help get himself comfortable in bed as well as to a standing position when PT is there.  He is still too weak for me to handle that by myself.

I'm not sure the rehab places will have the same expectations for discharge as I have.  When the Vanderbilt rep was here, she asked if anyone would be at home to help him when he got there.  I told her that if it was necessary, we could probably work something out (hint hint:  Cathy & Mom) but I was really hoping that he would be able to get around and take care of himself for the most part.  I don't expect him to be able to climb stairs or anything but to be able to get up and use his walker to get to the bathroom, kitchen, etc.  I'm just not going to worry about it right now.

Other than getting feedback from the Infectious Disease docs, Dr. Rutland is ready to get Tom out of the hospital.  His WBC is down to 13 and creatinine is at 1.  All his electrolytes and vitals are looking good and have been stable.  Even his leg looks a lot better than it did a week ago.

I think Tom is enjoying connecting to some long lost friends on Facebook.  I hope it will keep him encouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment