Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A good start

Tom's nurse came in this morning and said "I heard you were leaving today or tomorrow"!  Tom and I looked at each other and I asked her if she happened to know where he was going?  She said she wasn't sure yet but they were working on it.

Dr. Rutland came in shortly after and said he knows no reason why Tom needs to remain in the hospital and is working on getting him to a SNF (Skilled Nursing Facility).  The only question Dr. Rutland needs answered is how long the Infectious Disease doctors want to keep Tom on antibiotics.  The surgeon's notes said Tom's leg is healing well so we're happy about that!  All of Tom's numbers are really looking good.

Tom is already talking about me bringing a small grill so "he" can grill out.  I told him I wasn't sure if that was going to be possible!  I would really like to meet with the SNF before Tom is moved so we can discuss his care.  I hope I can bring the puppies to visit too.  We could do that when he was in NHC Cool Springs.  Tom really misses those doggies!

I helped Tom set up a Facebook page last night so if you all are on Facebook, you can search for Tom Burnet in Franklin, TN.  He doesn't have a picture and will probably never post one of himself so I sent him a few pictures of the puppies that might work. 

This morning I helped Tom shave.  It's a scary thing to have your wife at your neck with a razor!! Actually, it was an electric razor and although it doesn't look great, it looks a LOT better.  It still needs a little fine tuning but we can work on that tonight.  He was not bleeding when I left so I think I did a fairly good job!

Tom's friend, Dave, came to visit last night.  That is the best medicine of all for Tom.  He's so much more alert now and the cobwebs are getting cleaned out - he still gets tired easily and is especially tired at the end of the day but that will get better with time.  Dr. Rutland wants to get him moving around a lot more and Tom wants to do the same.  He's getting a bit discouraged by not making more progress in that area.  The hospital PT folks only spend about 30 minutes with him and most of that is just getting him on his feet so he's not been able to do a whole lot.  He has been doing his exercises in bed and there has been a lot of improvement in that area.

The prayers are working!!

No comments:

Post a Comment