Sunday, May 20, 2012

Progress

Tom is much more alert (to me) today. Dr. Rutland spent some time with him this morning and reiterated that hopefully by the end of the week, Tom will be in rehab. His spirits have stayed up, he is seeing progress almost every day so that makes a big difference. He said Dr. Rutland told him his creatinine was up today, probably because of the lasix. So they are going to back down on it a little. Toms hands are a lot less swollen. His skin is very dry and flaky. I keep putting lotion on it but it's still stretched out some too and that bothers him. As much as I worry about Tom while I'm not here, he really does a good job of handling things and he is very patient with the staff. They probably prefer it if I'm not here. I think Tom was up most of the night because of the late dose of lasix and problems with the wound vac again. Apparently this time it was a small leak that took them a while to figure out how to fix but they finally got it taken care of. As I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder what kind of issues we will have with it when he gets home and how we will deal with those? Tom is pretty excited about getting something "good" for dinner. I told him yesterday if he would be really careful about what he ate today, I would stop and get him something "from the outside". Fortunately Dr. Rutland told him this morning to do the same thing - that it was fine to do that, in moderation. I like that Tom is more conscious of those things, he's also been doing his exercises in bed. Going home is good motivation! It was really nice to worship in church this morning. I received so much encouragement from my Sunday School class members too. They have carried us through so much and are carrying the Phinneys as well, we are so blessed. If you want to keep up with the Phinneys, they have a CaringBridge site: Phinneyfamily@caringbridge.org. Everyone but Rebecca is now recovering at home and three of the kids were at church this morning. The pictures of their vehicle on the site will shock you. God was surely protecting them. I'm hoping to get home a lot earlier than I did last night. The dogs were fired up when I got home. It was about midnight before I got them calmed down enough to go to bed. I told Tom that would not work tonight! Maybe now that he's had one night on his own it will be a little easier. Tom will have his wound vac changed again tomorrow and will have physical therapy too. Hopefully they will get him on his feet again. That's about it for now. Probably won't post again until tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment