Friday, May 11, 2012

Out of surgery

Tom is out of surgery and settled back in his room/cube. He is doing well. I thought he might have nodded his head when I told him he's had a busy morning. I told him all the surgeries were over and now he could just heal. I was at work this morning and planning to come to the hospital around 9. As I was packing up to head out, I said a short prayer asking that Tom's surgery be early so he could get it behind him. At 9 am, Dr. Rosen called and said Tom was out of surgery and on his way back to ICU! Dr. Rosen said the wound still looked really good. He did not see any new infection and he just cleaned it out and trimmed some of the edges. He does not think Tom will need to go to surgery again. He plans to change the wound vac on Monday. Tom's BP looks great. I do not see a propofol drip so it looks like he's just getting the mega pain medicine right now. It also looks like they are still giving him a couple of antibiotics. His heart rate is up but I think that is expected after surgery. At work we often refer to Friday's as "fix it Friday" so hopefully Tom's leg is "fixed". It has been a long week but it has also been a relief to turn over his care-giving responsibilities. I've filled that time doing many things that need to be done and my list keeps growing! I'm pretty sure Tom will remain in ICU another week but once he's awake I'll be spending more time here. I threatened to give Finley and Fritzi Advil PM last night but we all slept pretty good! They take turns jumping up in Tom's chair and sniffing around. It's sad. Since Tom will be sleeping today, I'm going to head back to work shortly. I'll update you later. Pray, pray, pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment