Thursday, May 17, 2012

Slow progress

Tom is doing ok. He was asleep with his breakfast tray in front of him when I got here. It looked like he was pretty much on his own for most of it but he said he ate enough. I've helped him with part of his lunch just to be sure he Te something. PT came by, Tom sat on the side of the bed but it sounds like that was it. He said he was just so tired. I think they will be recommending he go to a skilled nursing facility instead of rehab. At an SNF he will only get one hour of PT a day which means he will be there longer but rehab would be 3 hours a day and as much s I want him to hve that, he is probably not ready. I asked the social worker to have a couple of rehab places evaluate him just in case but I'm not holding my breath. So, Tom's first choice is the facility close to home where he was before but that one tends to be the most popular, therefore hardest to get a room. Second choice is the facility Emily recommended last night. It's also in Franklin, but several miles in the "other" direction. I had to give a third choice, not exactly convenient but in a decent part of town. We'll make it work as best we can. I think Tom understands the plan, of course, he wants to go home! Dr. Rutland came by this morning but didn't say much according to Tom. He asked a bunch of questions. I received a call from the Liver Center today and we discussed this newest development. Tom's doctor/surgeon there is out of town but the nurse is going to give him the information next week. Once Tom is out of the hospital and SNF, we will schedule an appointment at UAB to get their input on all that has happened. In the meantime, I am going to ask Dr. Rutland to give them a call. I'm still fixated on the fluid. If the amount of fluid contributed to this condition in Tom's leg, something has to be done about it. I still don't know time frames for moving to a SNF. He will probably be here until a bed becomes available. So I'll be praying for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment