Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Waiting to move

I met with the folks at NHC Place in Cool Springs this morning to complete the paperwork for Tom's move to rehab.  He has been at NHC Place before - it is 2 miles from home!

After yesterday's reports of ammonia level at 190 and WBC at 16, I didn't think Tom would be going anywhere.  This morning his ammonia level was 67 and his WBC was 11.  Dr. Richards came in and was preparing the paperwork for Tom's discharge to rehab.  I think they are trying to get him out of the hospital while things still look good.  All we are waiting on now is for Blue Cross to approve rehab.  I haven't heard anything yet.  I really hope this happens today - just for his piece of mind.  Maybe the change of scenery will help motivate him.  The pessimist in me fears he will be back in the hospital soon just because of the ups and downs of the past 3 weeks!

Tom was more alert this morning and so very ready to get out of the hospital - even if it is to rehab.  His nurse told me he ate breakfast on his own.  He called me about 8:15 and told me that Dr. Miller had been by and I needed to call him.  Dr. Miller didn't really have anything new to report and re-stated that he didn't see anything of concern during the Endoscopy last week. 

Dr. Richards confirmed that he was going to call Dr. Eckhoff.  UAB called me a little while ago to schedule an appoinment for Tom to see Dr. Gray (one of the Transplant team physicians).  Hopefully Tom will be strong enough for us to make it to Birmingham on Dec. 19th.  I'm guessing that is a result of the phone call.  I also sent today's labs to UAB.  I doubt they will affect his MELD score.  Dr. Richards has really slimmed down Tom's med list.  I don't have a copy of it yet but I know he's removed a lot of the vitamin supplements.  I don't know if that is good or bad.  I wish they could do something to help the wound on Tom's right leg.  I'm worried about it when he gets to rehab.  I told the admissions rep about Tom's fragile skin this morning - she said she would pass it along and that I would have an opportunity to meet with the nurses and physical therapists.

I just called the hospital socal worker to see if they had heard from Blue Cross - nothing yet.  I doubt he will go today because it is so late.  Maybe tomorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment