Thursday, December 13, 2012

Catch up

OK, so a lot has happened since my last post . . . I'll try to be brief (Ha!)

Tom was moved to ICU (later) Wednesday morning because his BP was low and wasn't improving with the IV fluids.  I went by the hospital at lunch to see Tom and get an update.  I was able to meet with Dr. Rutland and Dr. Hyman (Critical Care doc).  They talked about putting in an NG tube because Tom was not alert enough to take his medicine.  I asked them to let me try first.  The NG tube experience when Tom first got sick was a disaster and I didn't want him to go through that again.  I was able to get Tom to take his medicine :-).  They put in a PIC line and gave Tom some blood.  He was doing so much better yesterday evening.  He was responding better, ate some grapes and some dinner.  I gave him his medicine (they just stick it on the counter and wait for me to get there).  He was focused when he opened his eyes and told me I needed to call his Dad.  Tom was able to talk to him for a while.  He did not want me to leave but no visitors are allowed between 6 and 8 pm.  I was happy to go home after having only 2 hours of sleep Tuesday night.

This morning, Tom actually called me!  He hasn't done that by himself in about 2 weeks!  I almost cried.  I could tell he was more alert.  He told me he needed help and was hungry and thirsty.  I called the nurses station and they told me not to worry, they would get him some food.  I will go and see him shortly and hopefully catch the doctors again.

Dr. Rutland had asked wound care to look at Tom's leg wounds (which they did) and since Dr. Miller was off yesterday, Dr. Price was going to check on Tom for a gastroenterology consult.  He has a lot of fluid in his abdomen which is probably where the infection resides.  Dr. Rutland also mentioned a possible transfer to UAB.  I'm making no plans but will see how things shake out today.  Logistically that would be a mess but we will work it out.  If Tom is more clear headed, it will be much easier.

So, that is where things are.

No comments:

Post a Comment