Saturday, December 22, 2012

I don't even know what to say

Dr. Rutland called me about 6:30 this morning and told me Tom was "bleeding out". Since his liver was not making clotting factors he wasn't holding on to anything they were giving him. They had given him 4 units of blood by the time he called me. He basically told me Tom would not make it and he wasn't even sure I could get to the hospital in time. We talked about what measures to take and all I could tell him was I wanted to be here. I threw on clothes and sped here. Tom is such a fighter - he is still hanging on. He is sleeping and comfortable. My parents came up and so did Tom's sisters, Debbie and Cathy. I called my co-worker, Becky, on the way to the hospital this morning and she met me here. She and my boss, Nancy, have been here all day and I understand several others have come that I did not see. I haven't wanted to leave Tom.

This is certainly not the way we expected this to turn out. I think Tom has known. He has suffered so much and it is brutal to watch him today. I know there is a wonderful place waiting for him and we will all get through this.

Please pray for peace for Tom and all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment