Sunday, December 16, 2012

More blood

Tom is getting more blood this morning. I must say, I am concerned. Drs Rutland and Hyman have been in to see Tom but didn't say much. Dr. Rutland is going to have Dr. Price (gastro) see Tom today. Apparently he was supposed to see him yesterday but I guess there was some confusion in the request. Dr. Rutland mentioned they might want to do another endoscopy to see if they can find a source of bleeding. All this blood must be going somewhere. I think Dr. Rutland is anxious to get Tom transferred to UAB. He keeps deferring to Dr. Miller making the call, I just want to say "call them yourself".

Tom's potassium is pretty low so they have been giving him potassium via IV. Tom was very keyed up overnight. He called me 4 times, always complaining about being thirsty. I talked to his nurse about 4 am and she said he had been drinking a lot of water, milk and juice. She felt like they needed to restrict it some since he has so much fluid leaking out, which is true. But it's not good for him to be dehydrated either. The docs didn't say anything about fluid restriction. He is still very thirsty. He continues to complain about pain, although not as much. He is cold, I'm sure the cold blood doesn't help. The rest of us are hot because the thermostat is so high in his room. He was by anxious when I got here this morning but is calm now. I still don't know what that was all about, maybe it's all of his electrolytes out of whack or something.

He will stay in ICU another day. His heart rate is good, his BP is a little low but the blood should help that. He keeps saying he wants to be left alone so he can rest but I can't get him to take a nap. He is scared, I hate that. I keep trying to reassure him (and myself).

No comments:

Post a Comment