Saturday, December 15, 2012

3/4 of a tank

Tom has now received 4 units of blood! We are waiting for new labs to see if his hematocrit is above 25 now. He will stay in ICU today. His heart rate is good, BP is still a little low but ok. They are still giving him some fluid to help push that up. Tom is so full of fluid, it's just not in his veins where it needs to be. That is what is causing the pain. It is literally like blowing up a balloon as much as you can. All of those nerves are pressing against his skin. He has gained 32 lbs since arriving here on Tuesday night! He is miserable.

He hates ICU, so he's not happy about having to stay today. He gets a lot of attention, there are always supplies in his room and I don't have to ask for anything except milk for Tom. I like seeing and hearing the activity. He has a good team today. His nurse told me I looked familiar when I walked in this morning. I get that a lot! I think I am here more than the staff. Even the residents who have helped us stop by and say hello!

Tom has been very thirsty. I bought him some hot tea, Mello Yello and a bigger bottle of milk when I got here this morning. Two of the three are gone!

They gave him something for pain just now - or said they did. Hopefully it will go to work soon. I brought my notebook with me today so I hope to get a little work done while I'm here. I need to do some ironing and gift wrapping but I don't think they would like me to haul all of that into this "cube".

As bad as Tom feels, I can't even begin to tell you how much better it is that he is alert and thinking clearly! He misses the puppies a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Jeanne... There are those at Rockdale Hospital that still remember me as "the guy on the red scooter"..and that was now 7 years ago. Medicos have long memories...

    ReplyDelete