Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Settling in

I called NHC Place this morning and talked to Tom's day nurse for today.  She said that other than some confusion, his night nurse and tech said he had a good night.  I wonder if the same is true for his roommate?!?  The confusion could be ammonia level, deep sleep or most likely - a combination of both.  They drew blood this morning so I'm anxious to see what the results are.  They will draw blood weekly while he is there.  I'm not sure how many days have been approved - I'll try to find that out this afternoon.

Anyway, Tom seemed more relaxed when I was there last night.  He ate the dinner they provided and I added to that a hamburger and chocolate milkshake from McDonalds because he was still so hungry.  He had a small skin tear on his hand from the transport.  The charge nurse last night said he was a "wound expert" so he was going to re-dress Tom's leg wounds.

Tom said he had physical therapy at the hospital and did a "whole lot" of exercises.  I know it is going to be super painful for him to get up with these open wounds - they are on the back of both knees so . . . not a good area. 

The first person I saw when I got to Tom's room last night was the day shift tech.  She came to our house while working for Comfort Keepers.  She was there for 4 hours and I couldn't get her out of there fast enough.  I was not comfortable at all with her taking care of Tom.  My feelings have not changed.  I told the night charge nurse that we were "not a fan" of this particular employee so I hope she is not Tom's tech today.  I hate to complain on day one but I want Tom's experience to be the best it can be so he will stay motivated.

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it was to drive 2 miles home last night instead of 20.  I needed to get to the office extra early this morning so I did not go by before work.  I didn't go by in the mornings when he was there last year because it puts me in bad traffic.  It's too far to go during lunch too.  I will try to keep that schedule in place and visit him after work. 

Tom's sister, Debbie, is coming to visit this weekend.  We are both so excited!  Tom asks every day when she is coming.  She is also going to cut his hair!!  Finley and Fritzi will have guests as well since she is bringing her two Chihuahua's, Winkles and Lucy.  F&F have instructions to clean up their toys before Friday - they are not complying!

No comments:

Post a Comment