Tuesday, December 18, 2012

STRUGGLING

Tom is struggling this morning.  I just got off the phone with his nurse and he is still very confused.  He refused to take his medicine last night, even after his nurse called and asked me to talk to him.  This morning his nurse was able to get him to take the ammonia medicine with ice cream.  He's tried pulling out his PIC line.  I will wait until lunch time to go to the hospital in hopes of catching Dr. Rutland and so that I can help give Tom his noon meds. 

His potassium level is up slightly but still pretty low.  They did not do an ammonia test today - it doesn't really matter.  I don't know why he is losing potassium - I don't think the docs know either.  I hope this doesn't cause any problems if they get a transfer approved.  I'm thinking that will be an all day thing.  Just because UAB is willing to accept the transfer, doesn't mean insurance will approve it. 

It is so hard to know he is confused.  His thinking was so much clearer late last week.  He keeps saying he is scared but I'm not sure he really knows what he is saying.  You really can't reason with him about it.  I tried and tried last night.  He kept sliding his legs off the bed but I could get him to move them back part of the time - that was encouraging to me that he had strength to do that.  I finally wedged some pillows at the end of the bed so he couldn't hang his feet of the side - I was afraid he was going to tear his skin.

I keep repeating:  God is in control; Tom is in God's Hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment