Friday, December 14, 2012

"1/3 of a tank"

Dr. Rutland came in to see Tom while I was there at lunch.  Tom's hematocrit is 16!  Dr. Rutland is usually giving Tom blood when it's at 25.  It was 23 on Wednesday when he received 2 units of blood.  He is probably receiving the first unit right now.  This would probably explain the low BP and high heart rate.  Unfortunately, they don't know where the blood is going (coming from) just yet.

Tom is still in a lot of pain and still feels burning in his chest.  I tried to get him to eat a hamburger at lunch, he had a few bites and drank a lot of milk.  He wanted a donut, I told him no!

He's very scared. 

I asked Dr. Rutland if Dr. Miller had talked to UAB.  He wasn't sure.  He said Dr. Miller left a message but wasn't sure if they actually talked.  I feel like UAB would call back pretty quickly since it's physician to physician.  I hope to hear something more about that later.

I have a copy of Tom's blood work from this week.  Not every set is complete for UAB.  Today's results look like they might be the best set but they were not complete either so I asked the nurse to call Dr. Rutland and have him request the missing pieces.  The resident in ICU placed the orders and changed tomorrows orders so that a full set will be run then too.

Tom's WBC has been as high as 20 and is now at 14.  His ammonia level is normal.  Some of his electrolytes are low too.  I think he will stay tonight in ICU. 

No comments:

Post a Comment