Friday, October 28, 2011

GETTING STRONGER

Tom has really enjoyed being home and is really working hard to get stronger.  I think he is trying to prove to me that no one needs to stay with him all the time.  I'd like to believe him but he also tends to push his limits - something I want him to do but only when someone is there.  He's receiving physical therapy a couple of times a week so that will be good for him as well. 

He had a busy day yesterday - running a couple of errands and spending about 3 hours at the eye doctor.  He got some new glasses shortly after his first hospital stay but they are not working for him anymore.  We don't know whether his medical issues have something to do with it or what but this time I got him to go to "my" eye doctor who, based on the amount of time Tom was there, probably did a more thorough job of assessing his needs.  So, here's a shout-out to Dr. Gene Harman of Brentwood Eye Clinic!!

Tom is also loving having the puppies home.  Of course, after Finley peed on the bed Wednesday night, I was ready to send them back!  I don't know whether they will stay with us for a while or not.  I've missed their sweet faces too but they are just one responsibility I don't need right now.  Tom wants them to stay so I'm thinking that maybe in a couple of weeks we can take them back down to Georgia, spend some time with the family and leave them behind (I know, that sounds cruel - but my niece and her family are really spoiling them so I'm not worried at all).

I'm still not ready for "the call".  I have some things ready to go - sheets, towels, blankets for the townhouse but not the most important thing - clothing.  Tom is pretty much packed but I have stuff all over the house so I really need to try to gather it together and maybe load it in the car this weekend. 

It has been so great to have Cathy here again to help.  She has shuttled Tom from place to place while I've gone into work for a couple of days.  They had dinner ready when I got home last night - which I LOVE!

Tom has a doctors appointment in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully things will stay stable until then (and after).  I'll probably post an update every few days because there is not really much to report unless you want to know what he is eating!  Please keep praying that he gets stronger while he can and that he doesn't get too sick.  If we could move up about 5 points on the list, I think we would be good to go pretty quickly.  I just don't want that to cause another hospital stay until it's time for the surgery!

Through your prayers, God has carried us so far.  We are so blessed and so thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment