Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DOUBLE BLESSINGS

Tom is officially on "the list"!  Dr. Covington came in yesterday afternoon and gave us the GREAT news followed by the transplant coordinator who delivered our packet and the official letter!

In addition, we are HOME!

Tom and I arrived home last night about 9:15.  By the time I got him settled, the car unloaded, unpacked and all it was 12:30!  I have no idea where all the "stuff" came from!  I'm sorry for not posting last night but I doubt it would have made much sense.

Tom got up once overnight (a new record) and said he was sleeping well - in fact, he's still asleep.  I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped but I'll survive (I was more excited about my own shower)!  I think we were both worried about getting him in the house but he did really well.  It's not something he will be doing a lot of quite yet.

Home Health is supposed to contact us today.  Tom will be working out with them for a while.  I will stay home for the next couple of days and then Cathy will be here to help.  Tom really needs someone with him all day for the next couple of weeks so I'm trying to work on that plan.  Hopefully after that he will be able to stay on his own and maybe my neighbors can check in on him.

Tom's MELD score is now at 21, so he's not very high on the list.  This is great in terms of how he is doing but just means the wait will be longer.  New labs are not required until November 22!  We are supposed to make an appointment with Dr. Rutland in a couple of weeks so I will request that Tom's blood get checked then - I don't want to wait a month.  If those results give him a higher MELD score, they will be submitted.  Tom is worried about the wait.  I told him he is in much better health than he was even 6 weeks ago and if he feels at all like something is wrong, I will take him to UAB immediately.  It takes us about 2 1/2 to get there which isn't too bad. 

Hopefully today Tom will get settled in.  He tends to want to do a lot more on his own so I'll have to encourage him to take it easy.  I don't want to have to call the Fire Dept. to help get him off the floor!  I'd love for him to be able to do everything on his own but hopefully that will come soon. 

Have some work to do, more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment