Monday, October 24, 2011

WAIT WAIT WAIT

I've talked to the insurance company and they assured me Tom is approved for a skilled-nursing facility.  Now we are waiting on the hospital to find a bed in hopefully 1 of 3 locations in Franklin.  Of course, I hope he can go to the same place he was before because it is so close to home.  Tom is really doing well so I don't know if rehab will keep him very long.  He will still need someone with him at home so I am working on that if we need it.

One way or another, we are out of here tomorrow - whether it is home or to rehab.  The fluid is finally going away but it is a slow process.  Dr. Smallfield said the adrenal insufficiency and steroid treatment will be a life-long thing.  It is just a low-dose steroid so it is not a big deal.  He said he was glad Dr. Covington found it as they will pump him up with heavy steroids before his surgery to help his body deal with the stress.  Dr. Covington said taking the steroids should actually make him feel better right away.  Dr. Smallfield thinks that the adrenal insufficiency was probably what elevated his WBC in past hospital visits!!


Of course we have no idea how long we will wait to get a liver.  I can guarantee that all of my cell phone conversations will become very short and may be not-so-sweet so I can be ready for "the call".  My mind is spinning with everything we will need once we come back so I'm anxious to get home and get it all together.

Tom was up and ready to walk at 7:15 this morning.  So, with me in my slippers, jammies, glasses and bed-hair, off we went.  Running to the coffee pot is one thing but walking the "big lap" is another - oh well!  I think it might have been difficult to tell which one of us was actually the patient!

Well, off to wait some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment