Monday, January 2, 2012

Tears

There were lots of tears last night. When I got back to the hospital (with the intention of leaving early for some much needed sleep), the nurse stopped me in the hall and told me Tom had slipped again! He didn't completely fall to the floor but she said it took four of them to get him back in bed. I asked why the bed alarm wasn't on, she said it was but the time they responded to it, Tom had already slipped. Now, Tom has basically been in the hospital bed for 12 days. He has gotten up with me a couple of times and it takes a good 15 minutes for him to get himself out of the bed - with my help!! I ask you, how long did it take for them to respond? Once I made it Tom's room, I sat on the bed and just cried!

The nurse said he didn't want to take his meds and kept telling them to "wait until Suzie gets here". I don't know who Suzie is but if that is who Tom is calling for when he is delirious, she needs to come on over and take care of him. I was at the hospital all night, Suzie never showed up.

I asked the nurse this morning for a print out of Toms blood test results. Here are his ammonia readings for the past few days:

Dec. 31: 54.8
Jan. 1: 185.7
Jan. 2: 75.7

How does that happen!? Tom is better today but obviously his ammonia level is still high. The report shows his billirubin is high also and the calcium, protein, and albumin are low but not "remarkably" low. His WBC is 10.6 so that's pretty close to normal. Tom got up every time he needed to use the bathroom last night. I think he got about 4 hours of sleep, I got 2. Hopefully the ammonia level will continue to come down today. A huge thanks to Thelma, the dog sitter, who responded to my panicked call at 7 pm last night and agreed to stay with the pups.

It was good to see Dr. Dunn back this morning. We are anxious to talk to Dr. Rutland tomorrow. I may also see who I might need to chat with regarding the bed alarm fiasco. I have asked the team today to set it on the middle sensivity setting so when he starts to sit up it will go off. I don't know why it hasn't always been like that.

Tom did not eat anything after breakfast yesterday. About 3:30 this morning he was hungry and proceeded to eat everything on yesterday's lunch tray, followed by everything on the dinner tray (yuck) and then was ready to order breakfast.

I've been home to take a quick shower and play with the pups. I'm headed back and will try to post again tonight if the wi-fi is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment