Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

We're trying hard to make this New Year's Day a good one but it's been tough. Tom's ammonia level is twice what it was two days ago so he is even more confused. I wish I could understand what is going on, even more, I wish the doctors could explain it but they can't.

Tom has a bladder infection so they are supposed to be giving him a new antibiotic for it. I was there for 5 hours and no one brought anything. I called for help twice and never got it. The second time I was struggling with Tom because he was trying to get up and I didn't think it was a good idea. Some how I was able to get him up on my own to use the bathroom (crying the whole time). From there we went for a short walk! When we got back, he got back in the bed and promptly fell asleep. I cleaned everything up, grabbed my stuff and left. I stopped his nurse on the way out and gave her his status. I asked a couple of questions about his meds (she didn't know the answers) and told her if she was lucky he would stay asleep and that I would be back later.

The PCP on-call is still covering for Dr. Rutland through tomorrow so we probably won't get back on track until Tuesday. Dr. Dunn is supposed to be back tomorrow. I'm going to take the blood test list required for UAB tonight to see if I can get them to run the required tests tomorrow. Tom's creatinine is up some more so maybe that will help him move up the list - but I don't think it will be enough because the levels are not that bad. Tom still has a lot of fluid but it was easier to tell that he's lost quite a bit when he stood up today.

All I know right now is something's gotta give.

No comments:

Post a Comment