Monday, January 9, 2012

A SMOOTH WEEKEND

Our weekend was busy but went well.  Tom is super-happy to be home and is getting around pretty well.  It didn't take long for our first mishap.  Before Tom was even out of the car, the puppies jumped on him and scratched his arm.  We took care of that pretty easily but once Tom was in the house, I picked up the dogs and took them to get their nails trimmed (one of those things I don't have time to do when Tom is in the hospital).  Anyway, I guess it was also time for another round of shots because it cost me $133 to get out of there! 

Tom has two antibiotics he receives via IV.  They are given at 6 am and 6 pm.  The first one is supposed to take about 75 minutes and the second one 30 minutes.  We've discovered that the more room-temperature they are, the faster they run so I set the alarm for 2 am today to get up and take them out of the fridge.  I think I'll go with 1 am tomorrow since it took the first one about 90 minutes to run.  This weekend it didn't matter so much since I didn't have any place to be that early. 

The Home Health RN came by at 6:45 am on Saturday to do the paperwork again.  This is the same poor guy who comes every time Tom gets out of the hospital.  He spends 5 minutes taking Tom's vitals and 45 minutes filling out paperwork.  I told him to fill out everything but the dates and I would make copies for the next time.

Our second mishap occured yesterday when Tom wanted to go to the grocery store to get some stuff to make chili for dinner.  When he got out of the car, he hit his leg on the car door.  Not a big deal but since it is on his calf, it has been leaking lots of fluid.  I told him since all of the fluid is in his tissue instead of his veins, that is what happens.  He told me to hand him a nail and hammer and he would get rid of the rest of the fluid.  We're still dressing the wounds from the hospital so there is a lot of cleaning and patching to do while the IV's are running. 

Tom is taking lots of diuretics so he's up a lot.  I really hope he will rest while I am at work today.  I know he is lonely and bored so for those of you who are close, feel free to go by and visit (please forgive me for the shape of the carpet - it WILL be replaced someday!!).

My "Santa" sister is coming to town tonight and will be delivering Christmas gifts from Memphis!  I thought about holding on to our presents and "re-gifting" them next year but, to be fair, we'll send her back home with them. 

Tom has a follow-up appointment with his doctor on Friday.  The antibiotics are scheduled to be done on Wednesday so hopefully he won't need another round.  I'm really hoping to hear from UAB on the Denver Shunt decision this week now that the holidays are over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment