Thursday, January 26, 2012

A double whammy

After a great deal of effort I convinced Tom to go to the doctor to get his blood tested today. Even though his doctor is off on Thursday afternoons, the office did call to tell us that Tom's ammonia level is "elevated" (it's 101 which is high to me) AND his potassium level is low. A prescription is being called in for the potassium and I will go and pick it up shortly. Tom is supposed to take a double dose tonight and another double dose in the morning! He has to go back on Monday to be tested again. I just gave him a dose of the ammonia medicine. I know he gets a full dose in the morning, but he told me he's been taking some at lunch so I don't give him a full dose in the evening. Last night he didn't want any. I'm going to have to watch that I guess.

More than anything, I am worried that he is not pumping his shunt. He says he is but with the confusion, I'm not sure if he remembers what he is doing. If it clogs, it is history. This is something specific Im asking you to pray for. He looks a bit more swollen to me too so, that's another reason he needs to be pumping more than he is.

This just really needs to get better fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment