Wednesday, January 4, 2012

HOME ON THE HORIZON

Dr. Rutland actually said that Tom may get to go home in a couple of days.  The key is that he remains stable (and nothing else goes wrong - my words, not Dr. Rutland's).  His hematocrit is higher today, thanks to the blood he received last night.  Everything else looks good and his ammonia level is 47.  I'm hoping tomorrow might be the day but we'll have to wait and see.  Tom is making plans for the weekend - mostly about stuff he wants to eat.  These steriods really do a number on his appetite!

Thanks to all who have called, emailed and texted the past few days.  I'm sorry for not responding to you all.  Now that everyone is back at work, it's really busy.  There is just not enough time to go through the story for everyone and get my work done.  I'm working on some fun stuff and when I get started, I don't want to stop.

Our moods and attitudes have improved.  Of course it helps when Tom is better and we both get some sleep.  He slept most of the morning today.  I'm going to try to get him out of the room tonight - just for a short walk.  I think he needs to build his stamina.  He thinks he pulled a muscle in his chest when he fell this past time so that's been giving him some pain.  My sympathy reserves are running pretty low so he's not getting much from me.  He asked the nurses to turn off the bed alarm last night - which they did.  Even though Tom says he calls them when he's going to get up, he will not wait more than a nano-second for them to show up.  I do understand this - but I am still worried.  I told him if he fell again, I was not going to come and see him anymore.  That didn't go over so well.

When I left yesterday morning, the hospital staff was complaining that their phone system was not working.  I told them if they "fixed" my husband, the two of us could probably "fix" their phone system.  Hopefully the team of folks working on the phone system is faster than the team working on the wireless Internet.  It's kind of scary that we rely on it so much now.  I could really get something done if it was working.

One of my devotions this morning talked about repeating the phrase "I Trust You Jesus".  I have been saying that all day.  I think it's going to be my motto for 2012.  One of the gifts I receive from my mom each year is a new copy of Daily Guideposts.  Since Tom and I haven't exchanged Christmas gifts with my family yet, I'm re-reading my 2011 Daily Guideposts - it's just as good the second time around!  I hope you all will join me in Trusting Jesus this year - we're living examples of how He carries us through the really, really difficult "life interruptions".  I was also looking through my prayer list for 2011, there are so many friends who have had it much harder - with losing family members or terminal illnesses.  We do have much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment