Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Surgery update

I know they are done with the procedure but Tom has not returned to his room yet.  When I called for an update, his nurse told me they had just finished up and that "it took a while".  He was not sure why.  Nothing with us is ever easy!

Tom's ammonia level was back up to 110 this morning.  Dr. Rutland came by before they took Tom down.  I asked him why he thinks the ammonia level won't go down.  His response was "because his liver is shot".  We know it is not good but I think if it were that bad, he would be higher on the list because his kidneys would be affected.  I am trying not to worry that this is going to be the "norm".  Tom was communicating clearly but seemed more lethargic this morning.  He said he ate a little of his dinner when we finally got it at 8:45 last night.  He also said he just wasn't feeling good this morning.  If this procedure solves the back pain and he can get some food in him, maybe he will feel better.

I don't know if Rutland is on-call this weekend or not.  I had hoped Tom might be well enough to be discharged tomorrow but if his ammonia level is high and he cannot get up and down, that probably won't happen.  I can still hope they might send him to rehab though.

No comments:

Post a Comment