Sunday, November 18, 2012

Ammonia Fog

Tom remains in what I call the "ammonia fog". He communicates pretty well but is lethargic. His ammonia level is up one point today but his WBC and hematocrit are better. It seems there is something still lurking that is causing his ammonia level to stay up, it's just not obvious in his blood work. I can't remember it ever being this tough to get under control. The on-call doc has increased one of his meds so maybe that will help. He has eaten pretty good and the staff seems to be checking on him frequently.

I was the "bad wife" again last night. When I left, I told his tech that if Tom wanted to call me at 5 am to try and hold off until at least 6. When I called at 6:15 to order his breakfast, they told me he slept a good bit last night so that was a prayer answered! He was sleeping when I got here and often slips into a little nap. It felt good to get some sleep myself.

It is "backsplash weekend" at home so our kitchen is somewhat out of commission. Again the timing worked out since we are not there much. After that there is just some painting which I think will also get done this week - I'm hopeful anyway.

It is hard to be missing the memorial service today for the parents of my friend Amber. I just felt like I couldn't leave Tom. There are folks who would have stayed with him and had he been more alert, it would have been easier. I was a tad worried about the 5-hour each way drive by myself. Normally that would not be a problem but I tend to get very sleepy even driving to work. She has been through so much, I ask that you pray she will have peace.

I'm off to run a couple of errands and check on things at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment