Monday, November 5, 2012

A NEW ROOM

Well, Tom is still in the hospital but in a new room.  I guess this "isolation" room opened up and they wanted to move him here this morning.  It is much nicer than the other one so I'm not complaining.  He's always in "isolation" because of the staph infection he had 7 years ago.  They are continuing to give him antibiotics - still don't really know what they are treating - I'm not sure they do either.  Dr. Miller, the gastroenterologist stopped by today but nothing in his treatment was changed.  I guess they are still trying to locate a bed in a skilled nursing facility.  He was evaluated by Vanderbilt Stallworth today - that is an intense rehab place but I don't think they feel like he is ready.  He walked pretty far down the hall today.  I was hoping he would walk again tonight but I don't think that is going to happen.  I guess if I could stay until 10 or 11 tonight he might go but I just can't stay that late.

He is much better overall today.  He is more "awake" than he was this weekend.  I'm sure that has to do with a lower ammonia level.  I can't seem to get anyone to give me exact numbers - only things like "it's better". 

Tom has been on the 4th floor this visit.  He is usually on 6 or 7.  They have closed the 7th floor because they don't have the patient load to keep it open.  We have seen a lot of "our" nurses and techs working on this floor.  Today they told the 7th floor staff they had 30 days to re-apply for open positions elsewhere in the hospital or they would be let go.  I was surprised to learn that they actually apply for positions on certain floors. I would have thought they would just keep those with seniority or something.  Our nurse today, who I really like, said most of the staff was encouraged because there are a lot of other positions open, it's just hard though because they will all split up.  I guess it's sort of like my department - we are family!  Please add the nurses and techs to your prayer list.

Today was a very productive day at work and I even got two things from my home "to do" list done - namely putting gas in the car and air in the tires.  Some things just can't wait.  It's a good feeling - especially for a Monday!!  Tom's truck needs gas and air too so maybe I can knock those out tomorrow! 

I really, really hope they can get him moved closer to home soon.  He is doing well enough to go straight home except being able to stand up from a sitting position which is important.  Hopefully a few days of work on that task and he can be home.  He's just got to get out of here first!

Pray, too, for our country - especially tomorrow as we "begin" the Presidential election.  I don't think it will be over tomorrow (or anytime soon).

XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment