Friday, November 16, 2012

In the hospital

It's has been such a rough week, I hate to tell you that it ends with Tom in the hospital! He tweaked his back yesterday morning and he basically didn't move the rest of the day. I had a feeling it would be a problem. When I got home from work, the physical therapist and the caregiver were trying to get him to stand and he just couldn't do it because of the pain. They were both so kind to spend some extra time with Tom but when they left, Tom and I had to decide what to do. He had to be in intense pain to agree to go to the hospital. I called the paramedics. To add insult to injury, his ammonia level just kept playing tricks on him. It's been like a roller coaster all week. When he got to the hospital it was 132! We worked so hard to get it under control this week, I was pretty upset it was still so high. Of course, everything else is fine.

He was in the ER until about 10:30 last night before being moved to a room. I stayed until the nurse got all the info and then headed home about 11:45.

He was still lethargic this morning. I got him some breakfast and he perked up some. That has been the case all week. He's lethargic in the mornings and evenings but fine during the day. I missed Dr. Rutland's visit today but he called me tonight and told me it is "basically the same song, 15th verse". He ordered a consult from Dr. Miller and he came by this evening. I don't think any decisions were made - he is ordering some kind of antibiotic but I think Tom is already taking it.

I sent Tom's lab work from last night to UAB today and our case manager called me back right away. I was really hoping for great news. It wasn't bad news but not exactly what I had hoped. Tom's MELD score is the same - at least it didn't drop. I asked her about the exception points that Tom has that expire on January 2. I wanted to know if that is a "one and done" kind of thing or if we can petition for additional points again. She said a few weeks before they expire, Dr. Eckhoff would submit the paperwork for exception points again. I was happy to hear that. We continued to talk about Tom's challenges. I mentioned the problems with his back. She asked if he had had a "block" or anything. I told her I had been thinking about something like that and was planning to ask Dr. Rutland about it. So, when Dr. Rutland called me, I asked. He said that it might be possible and is going to order an orthopedic consult on Monday. Maybe he can get a block or cortisone shot or something to help with the pain so he can get moving more.

I talked to a friend of mine who is willing to work with Tom at home on building his strength so I'm anxious to get that started. I think it will be really good for Tom.

Another one of my wonderful neighbors came over during all of the excitement at the house last night. He was so sweet and offered help anytime we needed it. He also mentioned he loves to cook and does all the cooking and would love to cook us some meals - score!!! I think I'll call him and tell him to cook for four every night!! That's God reminding me He is with us in the midst of all of this.

Tom has had a decent dinner. He communicates pretty well, he doesn't feel pain as long as he doesn't have to move a whole lot. Last night he was put in an "overflow" ward and was moved to another room this evening. He is still lethargic to me. His hematocrit was pretty low but I guess it wasn't low enough to need blood quite yet. Something must have been lost in the translation and they didn't do bloodwork this morning - so it has been ordered for tomorrow.

He has another new wound thanks to the team last night. Something else to worry about . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment