Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Still at UAB

I think I might have mentioned that Tom had been really sleepy the past few days. I figured something was not quite right but wasn't sure what. I only hoped that he would make it to his doctors appointment at UAB yesterday. Even though he could hardly keep his eyes open, we did make it to see the doctor. After about 2 minutes the doctor determined that Tom needed to be admitted to the hospital. As the blood test results started to come in, the first thing that the doctor noticed was Toms potassium level was really high. In fact, he sent Tom to the ER to get it addressed first. We were there from about 2 pm yesterday until 8 pm last night and then moved to a room. Tom did get a combination of medicine in the ER to help with the potassium level. It was after 10 pm before they began treatment for his ammonia level which was 175! Normally that high of an ammonia level would make Tom very disoriented but he really didn't get that way until about 1 pm yesterday. Anyway, by 1 am this morning, Tom was alert. They've stuck him for blood/IV's about 20 times. I don't know the results from this mornings blood work yet and I'm waiting to see the doctors before I head home to get some "stuff". I thought about sticking some clothes in the car yesterday "just in case" but changed my mind. Certainly regretting that decision. I am very glad we are at UAB this time instead of Baptist. No offense, but this is where Tom needs to be. I hope they can determine if the Denver Shunt is working too, I have been really worried about it.

Right now, all I know is that they are testing blood cultures to see if there is any kind of infection that is causing the high ammonia level. I'm guessing we have another couple of days here but hope to know more after the doctors visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment