Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Not better

Although Tom slept a record-breaking 9 straight hours last night he is still very lethargic and a bit confused this morning. I went ahead and called for transport to the hospital because I was afraid if he tried to get up, I wouldn't be able to help him. He was able to get up with help and go to the bathroom before going to the hospital but I'm not sure I would have been able to get him in the car on my own. More than anything, I just want to know what is wrong!!! His BP is good, his blood sugar was 97 at home, his oxygen was 91 so I just don't get it. Maybe he just needs a bottle of 5-hour energy or something! We're in the ER now waiting on blood test results.

He didn't eat dinner last night and has not taken his meds this morning, nor had breakfast. He said he "could probably eat something" but of course they won't let him have anything.

What I know this far is that his ammonia level is back up to 130. He's getting an IV with folic acid, magnesium and vitamin B-1. He usually takes folic acid at night and magnesium in the morning.

Certain foods make the ammonia level go up. The docs have not been concerned about what he is eating, they just wanted him to eat. I pulled out the list last night and he eats a good bit of items on the list (of course, it's all the good stuff). Fish was one of the foods and he had it for dinner Monday night and for lunch yesterday. I really don't think that is the sole cause but something we need to start watching. I was just told they were going to admit him, Tom is pretty upset.

Just talked to the ER doc. He doesn't think the food is an issue. He is engaging the GI folks to see if there is a reason his body is not absorbing the ammonia medicine. It's taken me an hour to get this written. I'll post another update later.

No comments:

Post a Comment