Thursday, March 22, 2012

2-3 MORE DAYS

It appears Tom will be here 2-3 more days.  They are giving him one last dose of antibiotic tonight and then will stop it.  They've found no infection source and think he is just dehydrated.  They are giving him IV fluids now.  His temp was 99.6 at last check and his BP is good.  His heart rate continues to be high - probably due to the dehydration.  I'm wondering if the antibiotics might be upsetting the kidneys.  Of course, dehydration would definitely do that.  His output is not nearly what it was but he's not on lasix either.

They gave him some Benedryl before starting the antibiotic so he's been sleeping most of the afternoon.  I tried to take a nap but the nurse, tech and doctor came in so I gave up. 

I had hoped we would go home tomorrow or Saturday so will probably need to find a laundry source tomorrow.  I have enough clothing until Saturday but if he's still here after that (likely), I'll have to figure out a new plan.  I know he won't want to wait while I work all day and then come down to get him Monday - and I won't be able to handle the six hours of driving Monday night anyway.  It will work out somehow - I'm not gonig to worry about it - besides, I'm still praying for a miracle.

I got really restless this afternoon - Tom kept dozing off but his IV pump kept clogging so I kind of needed to stay in the room so I could call the nurse and have her come and fix it.  Otherwise, they will let it beep forever.  After about 12 IV pump jams, I went for a walk.  It's been raining here and is much cooler than yesterday.  I ended up outside in the rain for about 2 blocks trying to find a way back in that wasn't a loading zone.  It was good to get outside though. 

Speaking of pumps, we found out today that Tom doesn't have to pump the shunt - unless he has excess fluid so that is such a relief!  It must be working because they were unable to find any fluid in his abdomen during the ultrasound this morning so they could pull any to test. 

Tom has just finished a good dinner and it appears the Benedryl has worn off - he's much more alert.  His temp is down some more so maybe everything is heading back to the "normal" as we now know it. 

We're hoping to get some sleep tonight but if not, you can bet I'll be spending the time awake praying for a liver transplant - soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment