Tuesday, December 27, 2011

STILL HERE

In the hospital . . . that is.  Sorry for no update yesterday - not that there was anything to report.  The wireless Internet coverage in the hospital has not been very good during this stay and was nonexistant yesterday.  I was going to post an update last night when I got home but then I get busy with the puppies and doing stuff and I just forget!!

Dr. Dunn, the kidney doctor, came in this morning and asked when Dr. Rutland was going to let Tom go home.  I guess he sees no need for Tom to stay in the hospital.  He doesn't even think there is a need for IV lasix and that the oral form will do just fine.  The process is slower than we would like.  Tom said it's difficult for him to get around with his legs still so swollen.  At times it doesn't even seem like the swelling has gone down at all but it will leave his legs/feet last.  Tom was up once overnight (he said).  Dr. Dunn asked him about physical therapy - which Tom has not had during his stay.  Tom didn't have anything good to say about the hospital PT people.  I think every little bit helps but that's just my opinion.  My biggest worry with him coming home is falling.  It is so easy for him to lose his balance and he gets frustrated using the walker too.  Dr. Dunn was going to talk to Dr. Rutland today so maybe we'll get some good news. 

Tom was a bit lethargic last night.  They didn't give him any blood yesterday and were going to watch and see if the counts came up on their own.  I hope I am there today when Dr. Rutland comes by.  I want to ask him about all of the other things - electrolytes and such just to make sure nothing else is wrong.  Tom's potassium was low on Christmas Eve so they gave him something for that, plus the blood.  He may need a little more blood so if he does, I wish they would get on with it so he could go home. 

Tom got on to me for posting that he "fell" last week (apparently a couple of folks have called him and asked him about it).  He said he didn't "fall" but just "slipped".  Whatever . . . he still has a swollen, bruised wrist.  I have kindly requested that he call the nurse or tech and let them know he is going to get up (and they can run or ignore him as they please).  He told me he could take care of himself so I guess he will be stubborn and I will pray that he doesn't "slip" again!

I managed to get up early yesterday and stole 2 hours to go to the mall and run a few errands.  I bought Tom a couple of things and sweaters for the dogs.  They get so cold and sometimes refuse to go outside - but I don't think this is going to help.  I will NOT put these on at 3 am for a potty trip outside!!

Don't laugh, they were on sale and are actually pretty nice.  All the others I've looked at are cheap sweater fabric.  The dogs were not too excited but I'll try again and see if they get used to them.  Sorry the pix is a little blury, they would not stand still.  They look humiliated, don't they?!?  It could be worse - I tried getting a picture of them wearing Santa hats, Finley chewed the pom-pom off of hers before I could even get Fritzi's on.  The hats went in the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment