Friday, December 30, 2011

BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL

No one deserves this!!!

I keep thinking I am going to be able to write something happy and positive - this is not one of those days.

Dr. Dunn was later than normal this morning so I missed his visit.  Tom's initial bloodwork from this morning showed his white blood cell count (WBC) to be high (17, normal is 10).  This usually indicates some kind of infection.  My money is on the leg or the bladder.  They have sent more blood and urine to the lab for tests and started Tom on an antibiotic.  He's still lethargic so they are going to give him more of the medicine to help with that.

Tom also told me that Dr. Dunn said he was going to discharge Tom today but he can't now because of the infection.  Note to medical personnel out there - do not EVER tell a patient you were going to let them go home - especially a patient that has been in the hospital over Christmas and will now be there over New Years.  Bad, bad move.

OK, I've vented.

It appeared that Tom ate breakfast today but kept falling asleep when I asked about lunch.  In fact, he was asleep when I left so he will probably not be too happy with me for sneaking out.  Tom is having such a hard time being in the hospital - he is lonely at times and bored.  He can't seem to catch a break.  He doesn't even want to hear encouraging words from anyone - they are really difficult to believe right now.

I'm re-thinking my decision to go to Memphis.  I'll make the call tonight after I see how Tom is doing.  As my Mom says, I won't have a good time if I spend it all worrying about him - which is true - and I will worry!

It seems like more of the fluid should be gone after all of this time in the hospital getting meds.  I know the process is slow but it seems like it's been better than this in the past.  Tom is getting up some but mainly to go to the bathroom and that's it.  I tried suggesting he sit in the chair for a while but he said it hurt too much.  It's probably better if someone is there just in case he gets too uncomfortable.  I really would like to try and get him out to walk in the halls a little but he hasn't felt like that either.  I think once he is less lethargic, he will feel like moving around more - I hope so anyway.

So, I'm still praying - I hope you are also.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment