Sunday, December 11, 2011

No heat

I know you are anxious to know what is happening at the Murphy's (law) house lately!! It's been pretty cold here and yesterday it seemed that inside the house it just wouldn't warm up. We had started a fire and often the heat will not kick in because the thermostat is right outside the family room. I went on to bed in a very cold bedroom. Several times during the night I woke up and was freezing. I even tried to get the puppies to share their little heating pad! At 4 am I got out of bed to check the thermostat. It was 61 degrees. In the summer, that would be normal for us! Anyway, I messed with the controls and couldn't get the system to kick in. Tom had been sleeping in his chair (normal) and commented that he was cold too even with the electric blanket on high. So, we determined we had a BIG problem. I carried the portable heater down from the bonus room and started another fire, after going out in the 20 degree weather to get firewood. Needless to say, we were all wide awake by this time (4:30 am).

We had breakfast and I grabbed every heated blanket, throw and heating pad we own and piled them in the family room. It was still so cold. The upstairs heat worked fine but Tom can't get up the stairs so that was no good. I, however, went up and took a long, hot shower. I placed a call to the heat/air folks who said they would be out around 3 pm and hauled in the remaining firewood.

Fortunately on Saturday Tom had ordered a load of firewood to be delivered today and we had just enough to make it until the wood was scheduled to arrive. Tom called right when Sunday School ended and said the heat/air folks had arrived. All the way home I prayed that it would be a simple and inexpensive fix - maybe a new thermostat or something. Our downstairs unit is only 4 years old!

The most important prayer was answered - the problem is in some kind of switch that is covered under warranty so it won't cost us anything! Unfortunately they cannot get the part until tomorrow (hopefully). So, the home fires are burning non-stop. I guess I'll be sleeping on the couch so I can keep wood on the fire all night. We are thankful for firewood and electricity!

Other than that, Tom is doing well. His leg is still more swollen than he would like so it's difficult and painful for him to get around. I'm quite impressed with my skill at giving IV meds - Tom even wants to see if he can take the lasix by IV like they were giving him in the hospital because he thinks it works bettere than the tablet version. I doubt that is going to happen! Anyway, I guess I'd better sign off and finish cleaning up the kitchen - need to figure out my sleeping arrangements before I fall asleep standing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment