Tuesday, May 31, 2011

NOT AT HOME

Tom did not get to come home today and we're both pretty bummed (so are the puppies).  As I suspected, Tom's PCP decided to give him IV fluid in addition to the IV antibiotics.  He's also getting Lasik again to help get rid of some swelling in his legs and feet.  It's weird sometimes - give fluid and then give him medicine to get rid of fluid.  Anyway, he also ordered blood work since none had been done all weekend.  I guess we'll see what that says tomorrow.  The doctor did mention that Tom's liver enzymes were better in the blood work that was done last Friday so that's great news.  The doc was not too concerned about the new urinary track infection (I think that's supposed to be tract).  He said the bacteria was minute but he was going to continue to give Tom the antibiotic for it.  Tom's BP was pretty low last night and again this morning.  I thought it might have something to do with the new antibiotic and/or the fluid or lack of fluid.  Tom was even concerned about it as he has started making his own notes :-)  His BP was higher this evening and no one seems to be too alarmed so we'll continue to see how that does.

The fluid they pulled from Tom's abdomen last week was clear.  I'm not sure I understand what that means at this point - even if it's clear, it seems to me that it still shouldn't have been there in the first place.  The explaination Tom gave me from the doctor didn't make sense either so I won't even try to explain it here.  Tom is still experiencing some pain in his abdomen.  I'm trying to be better about keeping my mouth shut and letting Tom ask the questions.  So I apologize for not being able to provide more detail.

Hopefully this won't turn into another marathon hospital stay.  I think I ran on adrenaline last time and I haven't had enough time to build up any reserves.  I am tired!  Thank goodness my neighbor has graciously offered to come and let the dogs out to play this week - that helps ease my mind a lot.  I am still missing more work than I want but I think I'm keeping up with the workload.

Please pray for Tom's speedy recovery and also thank God that Tom is participating more in his care.

No comments:

Post a Comment