Wednesday, February 29, 2012

SLOW PROGRESS

It seemed to me that Tom was getting a little more lethargic when I was visiting at noon but he rebounded this evening.  He had physical therapy right before I got there so maybe that was part of it.  We even went for a walk this evening before dinner.

A huge thank you to my friend Ellen who drove all the way across town yesterday to feed the pups and then visited with Tom while I went to church to serve for Room In The Inn.  Ellen, Tom and I worked together for many years.

I talked to Dr. Rutland this afternoon about Tom's progress.  We discussed Tom's ammonia level and what he told me was that Tom received one dose of the ammonia medicine on Sunday but didn't receive any more until Dr. Rutland ordered it on Monday.  Even though I was told on Sunday that the on-call doc ordered that all of the meds Tom was taking at home be continued.  I am really, really disappointed in the communication about the meds thus far.  Tom probably could have been home by now.  Dr. Rutland said yesterday was probably the worst day as far as the blood count readings go and they weren't even that bad.  He said he would print them out and send them to UAB.  I don't know if they will make any difference but I'd like to try.

Tom's red blood cell count is borderline so if it's lower in the morning, Dr. Rutland will probably order some blood.  I doubt Tom will go home tomorrow but we're praying for Friday.  Dr. Rutland seems more concerned about Tom's physical strength and being able to get around at home.  He moves really well, just not really fast.  I thought he did great this evening.

I think I mentioned that he doesn't seem to have fluid retention issues any more.  His arms and legs are so skinny!  I told him he needs to really build some muscle now.

The Internet access at the hospital is not very good (except maybe in the wee hours of the morning) so the updates will be sporatic.  Please keep checking and praying!

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment