Wednesday, July 13, 2011

HOME!!

Tom was discharged from the hospital yesterday evening and is HOME!  There was lots to do last night to get settled so my apologies for not updating the blog.

There was one trip to the grocery store where it takes forever to look at every label for sodium content and two trips to the pharmacy to pick up RX's.  Tom is going to be eating a lot of english muffins with jelly.  Remember, I'm not the cook at home so this is a real challenge for me.  Tom is on a low sodium diet which in and of itself is not that difficult however, there are certain other foods he cannot eat because they affect his ammonia level - those two together make it a bit tougher.  I have left a message for a nutritionist to get some help. He still has fluid restrictions to help alleviate the swelling.  I know after a while this will be much easier.  Right now it is overwhelming. 

My co-workers are munching on lots of salty snacks I cleaned out last night.  There is also a bag of canned soups (even though they are "low sodium") ready to go to the food bank.  I feel comfortable that Tom will not eat the things he shouldn't but I don't want him to be tempted.  It will be better for me too (after I help eat all of this junk at work).

His follow up appointments have been scheduled and I think (hope) he has everything he needs today while I'm at work.  I woke him up before I left at 6:15 this morning just to make it feel like he was still in the hospital - but at least I didn't turn on the bright lights or stick a needle in his arm (although I can do that if necessary).  I simply reminded him to take his medicine and write down everything he eats and what's in it.  I have lists all over the house of what meds to take at what time, charts for writing down sodium and protein content, and because he needs to weigh himself every day, a place to write that down too!  It's all kind of funny when you take away the importance of it.  He'll probably get a few phone calls from me today too.

The puppies were quite happy to have him home and couldn't wait to snuggle between us when we finally got to bed about midnight last night. 

Please continue to pray for Tom's complete healing.  I wouldn't mind if you prayed for my cooking abilities also.  Our family and friends have been so encouraging and helpful.  We draw our strength from your support and especially from The Almighty God!

1 comment:

  1. Now that he's home he can start clearing out some wall space for that deer head. What foods affect your ammonia level?

    ReplyDelete