Monday, April 2, 2012

BUSY TIMES

Sorry I have not posted.  Actually, I've been hanging out at the hospital - but not with Tom. 

Tom is doing alright.  He is holding on to some fluid - he's gained about 30 lbs since leaving UAB.  Of course, now that we're looking at a long, holiday weekend, I am anticipating he will be back in the hospital (I'm such a pessimist).  He, of course, is refusing to hear any of it.  I tried this weekend to explain that I am a "planner" and if he can't get on top of this fluid thing, I want him to go to UAB so that they can address the issue and also check the shunt (which they couldn't do the last time because he had no fluid).  I'm not convinced there still isn't something wrong.

His doctors office called him this morning (as I was writing this) and said his white blood cell count is up and wants him to come in later this week.  He now has a doctors appointment on Friday afternoon.  He says he is NOT going to the hospital!  I told him if that's where he needed to be, that's what would happen.  It's gonna be a long week.

He has made slight progress in dealing with the fluid and his weight is down a little but I am worried that he could dehydrate his blood vessels.  I will keep a close eye on him this week.  I have neglected him much of the weekend.  On Thursday morning, my bosses husband had a massive heart attack and collapsed while running.  He received quick attention but since he was not wearing any identification, no one knew who he was until 4 pm.  By that time, my boss and her daughter were on a plane to visit Clemson.  We tried to find her a flight before she landed but she ended up driving 6.5 hours back to Nashville on Thursday night.  The outlook at the time was very grim.  They used cooling blankets to lower his body temperature and preserve brain activity while sedating him until she could get back to town.  On Friday morning they began warming him up and by yesterday he was out of ICU, off the vent and talking.  As the cardiologist said Saturday morning "this is a Jesus moment".  So, again, we have experienced a miracle.  Her husband is a teacher and coach and has touched so many people.  I ask that you pray for him as well.

I sure hope there are more miracles - Tom still needs a liver.  I continue to hope and pray that he will be fortunate enough to receive one while his MELD score is higher.  I am going to try not to worry about the white blood cell count but I do wonder if there is an infection around this shunt.  Tom has tried to be more active and I think it's made a difference.  I hope that this WBC news doesn't get him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment