Monday, April 16, 2012

A little extra prayer

I was planning to wait until Wednesday night for another post, Tom has doctors appointments on Wednesday afternoon.

However . . .

Tom is a little bit confused tonight. I talked with him about 3 and he seemed fine but when I got home about 4:45 he was having a little trouble. I don't know how much of the ammonia medicine he had today or if I could trust what he told me. He did take a full dose about 6:30 tonight and I'll try to get him to take another full dose about 10. He was complaining that his stomach hurt and he wondered if he should go to the doctor. He was pretty upset. I asked him if he wanted to go ahead and go to the doctor, his response was "I don't want to go". I then asked him if he felt he should go and his response was "I don't know". After about an hour, his stomach felt better. He didn't say he ate very much today but he did take the iron supplement at noon so that might have been why his stomach was bothering him. He's eating a pretty good dinner tonight so maybe that will help.

Tom still has a lot of excess fluid. I don't think he's doing any extra pumping and I'm still not convinced the thing is even working. I am going to ask Dr. Rutland on Wednesday if there is a option for Tom to get some of the fluid removed as an outpatient or something. He needs to get rid of some of it so he will feel better and move around easier. It will take weeks in the hospital to get it off with just lasix and albumin.

The blood work Tom gets pulled on Wednesday will get sent to the Liver Center for a new MELD calculation. Even with the fluid and probable higher ammonia level, I'm expecting his MELD score to drop again. But he still has a few more days at a 22 so I'm thinking positive and praying hard.

Please pray that we'll get over this hump and Tom's confusion will get better instead of worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment