Thursday, October 18, 2012

Tim's field trip . . .

. . . To the hospital.

Tom fell at home this morning.  I'm not too sure what happened, I think he basically lost his balance. He was near the fireplace so he ended up with a lot of scrapes.  Thankfully the Guardian unit was in place so he was able to use it.  The dispatcher sent the paramedics and then called me.  They told me he was ok and they had called for lift assistance.  When the fire department got to the house, they saw a lot of blood and felt it would be best to take Tom to the hospital.  The paramedic called me from the house and we agreed to meet at the hospital.

When Tom got there he looked a lot better than I thought.  He was complaining about his ribs so the doc looked him over, determined he wouldn't need any stitches but ordered X-rays.  Tom was worried about the dogs and the mess so he asked me to go home and "clean up".   I wasn't sure what to expect.  The paramedic told me at the hospital that the fire department had used some towels to clean up and put them in the trash.  I think I want to hire the fire department to clean my house.  There wasn't a drop of blood anywhere!  I put the towels in the wash and mopped the floor just in case.  The dogs were fine.

I called the hospital and was told the X-rays had been done but not read.  I figured that would take some time so I headed to the office to get a few things and then planned to go back to the hospital.  The doc had suggested they call an ambulance to take Tom home but I took the truck in case that didn't work out.  I didn't even get out of the neighborhood before the hospital called back and told me to stay put.  They were discharging Tom and called for an ambulance to bring him home.  (I would have never been able to get him in the house by myself.)

Tom is home and in quite a bit of pain.  He cannot take any strong pain reliever so it's going to be even more rough the next week or two.  I'm not sure how we will manage tonight.  Comfort Keepers is going to send someone for part of the day tomorrow so I'll either stay and help or head to the office for a few hours.

Praise The Lord he was not seriously hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment