Saturday, October 27, 2012

Severe back pain

Well, things were humming along and even though Tom's ammonia level rose to 140 this week, that was coming down - we were so happy to be able to deal with that at home.  It was tough, but we were getting somewhere.  This morning, however, Tom was having a lot of back pain and it got to the point whe he couldn't even stand with assistance from his lift chair.  After trying for quite a while, we both agreed he needed to go to the hospital.  So, a trip to the ER and Tom will be in the hospital for a few days.  X-rays don't show anything other than some degeneration and previous compression fractures.  Dr. Richards seems to think it is more muscle pain.  Because of the condition of his liver and his elevated ammonia level, they cannot really give him any "good" pain medicine.   Since he cannot get up and down, home is not a good place for him right now.

His ammonia level is down to 99 but he is still experiencing some disorientation.  So they will work on getting that back to normal.  All of his other blood tests are normal (for Tom and his condition) so we are thankful for that.  I don't know what they can and will do for his back, I'm sure physical therapy will be involved.  I'm going to start looking for a more intense option for Tom's physical therapy.  Hopefully I can get him to buy into that as well.  He needs to be moving more and getting stronger.  The two days a week he gets now is not enough.  If anyone has any ideas, please send me an email at burnetj@bellsouth.net.

Yesterday was probably the roughest day we've had in a while.  I was stressed on several levels so started the pity party routine.  It didn't exactly help that my three devotions for yesterday all talked about being thankful for suffering.and being joyful.  I struggled with that all night.  Praise God, for the mercy he showed us today.  Tom was improving from a confusion standpoint, he calmly agreed to go to the hospital, I have help caring for Tom from the doctors and nurses, I will get some sleep ,tonight, ill get to go to church tomorrow and serve my shift as an Andrew Minister and for the greatest joy, my neighbor greeted me at the door this morning with encouraging words and a bouquet of sunflowers!  It's still a challenge to be thankful for suffering.

Tm is supposed to go to UAB on Wednesday.  I kinda doubt we are going to make that appointment.

Again, we covet your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment