Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The adventure continues

It has been a long time since the last update - and a lot has happened.  Tom spent most of it in the hospital again.  He was admitted Sunday, August 26 and released on Friday, August 31.  It was just his ammonia level this time and it seemed to come on really fast.  Of course, looking back, I always see signs.  I'm used to an occasional slip but another sign seems to be that he gets really irritated - which he was most of the previous weekend - and for no real reason.  He was very busy that weekend.  We went to the Farmers Market and then spent some time in a few shops in The Factory in Franklin.  Once we got home, Tom wanted to move his ATV back into the garage (it had been covered and locked to a tree while the house was remodeled).  This required me to have to move it.  It is quite powerful and it scares me - but I got it back to the driveway.  Tom actually got on it (with some help) and before he put it away, he rode it to the other side of the house and supervised my triming of the hedges around the air conditioning unit.  I've learned to use yet another power tool!  This not-too-small task netted me poison oak or sumac on my arm and ankle!  Tom did a great job manuevering the ATV into the garage. 

The next day, Sunday, Tom and I rode out to Kingston Springs (about an hour away) and he did some fishing.  I helped bait the hook - not my thing!  It was a nice day so I was glad he was able to get out.  It was after we got home that he rapidly became disoriented.  I tried giving him more medicine but it just got beyond my control.  He ended up in the ER about 10 pm.  Of course, by Monday morning, he was getting better.  All they did was give him some fluid.  We thought he might go home on Tuesday sometime but on Wednesday morning, his ammonia spiked again.  I think it was what he ate Tuesday night.  He didn't seem disoriented at all, maybe a little lethargic but he ended up spending more time in the hospital because of it.  My parents had already planned to come visit and they arrived on Wednesday.  It was great to have them here, even if Tom was in the hospital for most of their visit.  My dad did some painting for us which was a huge help!  Once Tom got home, we spent another weekend being busy.  I finally unpacked the last box and hung some pictures and stuff.  We also spent some quality time watching football too!  Tom continues to try out new recipes in the new kitchen. 

Hopefully his physical therapy will start up again this week.  He has another appointment in Birmingham next week.  I pray they will feel he is now strong enough.  I'm sure his numbers won't be very high so we'll see what they say.  Tom is on a new antibiotic that is absorbable - maybe this will help with the ammonia level.  That's what his gastroenterologist is hoping.  He's also been taking extra ammonia medicine.  It's no fun but if it keeps him out of the hospital . . .

We continue to take things one day at a time.  It's hard not to look to the future - we certainly cannot plan anything, which is disappointing.  Tom could really use a vacation.  I just pray he can continue to get stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment